The Pacific Beach Coalition is a growing community of Earth Heroes who are passionate about protecting and preserving the health of our ocean, beaches, wildlife and coastal environment. Together we’re a powerful force for positive change, building and delivering a model for sustainable environmental stewardship and kinship among all ages through advocacy, education, community building, and citizen action in the Bay Area. Our current mission is to preserve the ocean, coastal habitat, and wildlife, while ending litter through advocacy, education, community building, and citizen action. The Pacific Beach Coalition is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The Pacific Beach Coalition is an environmental change maker in the Bay Area and has been operating to achieve this mission since 1997.
We are consistently looking for Ocean lovers to keep the Pacific Beach Coalition thriving, so check the position(s) we have currently have open!
Business Director – Paid – Part Time
The Business Director will work closely with the President and Board of Directors in determining long-term financial goals and developing strategies to achieve the objectives of the PBC. This is a tremendous opportunity for a leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected organization.
The Business Director will manage PBC’s business operations, including oversight of accounts payable and receivable, budgeting, creation/analysis of financial statements and reports, fund development and advise the management team on business decisions. The Business Director is responsible for monitoring and maintaining internal controls while overseeing business systems and related compliance requirements.
Details on the specific responsibilities and minimum qualifications are provided below. Before going there, however, ask yourself the following questions:
1. Would you be excited to bring efficient and sustainable business practices and develop long-term goals with strategies to reach them for a growing non profit helping the ocean?
2. Do you have the ability to translate business concepts to colleagues without that expertise?
3. Are you passionate about facilitating the PBC to reach its maximum potential to help the earth and ocean?
If you’ve answered “yes” to each question, read on!
Reporting to the President and Board, the Business Director will:
- Direct the day-to-day operations including oversight of accounts payable and receivable, and maintenance of the general ledger.
- Prepare, analyze and present financial reports (income statements and balance sheets) in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements to the Board.
- Lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the President and Board, administer and review all financial plans and budgets, monitor progress and changes, produce and evaluate monthly budget versus actual reports.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Oversee audit and tax functions, coordinate activities with outside audit/accounting firms and review those firms’ performance.
- Act as managing liaison for outside financial and other contracted services, i.e., grant writing, legal advisory, real estate acquisition, human resources, social media production.
- Develop appropriate investment strategies when possible, oversee their implementation.
- Oversee grant writer, assist in fund development.
- Produce financial reports for funder grants, maintain shared grant reporting calendar due dates and submissions to include all required financial deliverables as stated per grant awards and contracts.
- Generate project schedules and greatest metrics to be reviewed at each project milestone.
- Analyze materials and personnel needs prior to the onset of each project.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices and periodically update the organization’s accounting manual.
- Maintain all financial records and oversee accounting.
- Manage online funding sources like Paypal and Benevity.
- Generate new revenue for PBC by securing sponsorships, looking for grant opportunities and other revenue sources.
- Passion for the ocean and love of the environment
- Bachelor’s degree in business management or related field required.
- 3+ years relevant work experience in nonprofit accounting required.
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements in the financial field.
- Remain up-to-date on best practices in nonprofit finance, business systems and internal control measures, and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
- Expert computer skills, including Office, with advanced proficiency in Excel and QuickBooks.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Appropriate written and verbal communication skills.
It is not intended that the above listed duties reflect every job duty, responsibility, or task that the Business Director may be called upon to perform; however, the Business Director is expected to perform all job-related duties and tasks assigned by the PBC Board of Directors
Reports to: Lynn Adams, President and PBC Board of Directors
Please send a cover letter and resume to Lynn [at] pacificbeachcoalition.org.
Thank you for your interest in the Pacific Beach Coalition.