The Pacific Beach Coalition is a growing community of Earth Heroes who are passionate about protecting and preserving the health of our ocean, beaches, wildlife and coastal environment. Together we’re a powerful force for positive change, building and delivering a model for sustainable environmental stewardship and kinship among all ages through advocacy, education, community building, and citizen action in the Bay Area. Our current mission is to preserve the ocean, coastal habitat, and wildlife, while ending litter through advocacy, education, community building, and citizen action. The Pacific Beach Coalition is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The Pacific Beach Coalition is an environmental change maker in the Bay Area and has been operating to achieve this mission since 1997.
We are consistently looking for Ocean lovers to keep the Pacific Beach Coalition thriving, so check the position(s) we have currently have open!
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
PBC deeply values and is committed to sustaining and promoting diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion.
It is PBC’s policy to promote diversity in recruitment and hiring. We provide an equal opportunity in recruitment and employment to all individuals and will consider candidates without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation and identity, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status; and without discrimination based on socioeconomic, marital, parental or caregiving status, or any of the previously listed characteristics or statuses.
PBC values the diversity of its job candidates, staff, board and volunteers. It rejects any form of harassment, discrimination, retaliation or oppression. We encourage and require respectful communication and cooperation. Our organization is dedicated to sustaining and promoting diversity with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, training, provision of compensation and benefits, management of organizational activities and general treatment during employment.
PRO-BONO LEGAL HELPER
The Pacific Beach Coalition is seeking a lawyer to work with us on a pro-bono basis for a small project reviewing our event waivers and associated policies to ensure that we are in compliance with all legal requirements. We estimate the project to be about five hours of work, including discussion with a staff member.
Reports to: President & Financial Director
Location: Pacifica, CA & Remote
Schedule: 3-4hrs / week
Status: Exempt / Contract
PBC is seeking a part-time bookkeeper who is experienced with nonprofit bookkeeping and accounting principles. This is a long-term contract position that is about 3 to 4 hours per week. This is a flexible position; there is a preference for the bookkeeper to be available one day per month to review financials for the previous period(s). This position reports to the Financial Director and the President.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
The bookkeeperʼs main responsibility is to ensure the accuracy of the PBC books and also produce financial reports as needed in order for NPHʼs management and board to fulfill their fiduciary oversight responsibilities. Ongoing duties include working with the president and financial director on accounts payable and accounts receivable (including creating invoices), creating monthly financial statements and all monthly reconciliations. He or she will also be the main liaison with the PBC accounting firm on the annual filing of tax returns.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS DESIRED
The bookkeeper candidate should have an Associateʼs degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience with a non-profit organization. Preferred candidate will have at least three years of non-profit bookkeeping experience. The candidate must also possess a knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles both standard and non-profit. The preferred candidate will have a good working knowledge of the QuickBooks Online accounting software package.
Please send your resume, a cover letter indicating your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header: PBC Bookkeeper.
Reports to: President
Location: Pacifica, CA (some virtual work)
Schedule: Full time with flexibility
Status: Exempt / Contract
The Pacific Beach Coalition in Pacifica, California is seeking an Executive Director (ED) who shares a deep commitment to its mission and the environment, solidifying the programs, operations, and organizational excellence to ensure sustained growth. The Executive Director will work alongside the President to lead the organization and fulfill its mission and vision, focusing primarily on finances, fundraising, and business operations.
This is a unique opportunity to work with a well established non-profit organization and have a significant impact on the environment and health of our planet. PBC has been fulfilling its mission for 25 years, has strong financial support, an active audience of over 15,000 people and has enlisted and organized hundreds of thousands of volunteers over the years. Recognized by the community, political leaders, and businesses of all sizes, PBC needs help to support its existing programs and growing demand.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
Lead organizational vision & strategy
- Collaborate with the President and Board of Directors to:
- Formalize and drive our multi-year vision that enables the organization to deliver its mission and support growing demand
- Define short- and long-term strategic goals to guide the organization and ensure alignment with its vision and strategic direction
- Direct annual planning, scheduling, and budgeting for programs, fundraising, and marketing activities.
Lead fiscal management and operations
- Overseeing the operational and fiscal management, including budgeting, reporting, policies, and/or procedures.
- Identify and formalize organizational and operational structure
- Recruit, train, and manage talented staff and volunteers to lead critical programs and functions.
- Manage accounting and HR functions, with the support of a part-time bookkeeper.
- Ensure the financial health of PBC by:
- Lead budgeting, financial planning, and reporting.
- Confer with outside financial support staff
- Pursue funding sources and opportunities including grants, corporate sponsorships, individual giving campaigns, memberships, etc.
- Monitor business operations, ensure business practices comply with regulatory requirements.
- Nurture the organizational culture, promoting transparency and collaboration. Identify potential risks and opportunities within the organization to protect business interests.
- Oversee marketing strategy and implementation, with support from the part-time Marketing Director and marketing volunteer team
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS DESIRED
- Must have non-profit leadership experience
- Strategic planning and business operations
- Proven track record of fundraising for community based non-profit organizations
- Experience in (or passion for) ecology, environmental science, environmental studies, or other relevant fields
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Eagerness to educate and engage others
- Bilingual is a plus
- Preference for local applicants
Interested candidates should submit application materials to email@example.com, including a resume and cover letter that demonstrates your experience and passion for the position.
We are always looking for passionate individuals. So if you need an internship or would like to volunteer for a specific position based on your skills, please send us an email with your resume and cover letter. We look forward to it!
Thank you for your interest in the Pacific Beach Coalition.