How To Keep Your Kids Entertained at Home
With the current situation and the COVID-19 obliging us to stay at home, it might be difficult to keep our children’s brains busy. To help parents, grand-parents, teachers, guardians and babysitters, we gathered a bunch a resources that you can use at home or outside to keep everyone sane and happy while giving back!
Our Toolkits are Ready-To-Print-Activities
Over the years, we have put together a bunch of activities for a lot of different grades each focused on our different Earth Honoree. Browse through these activities and print the ones that match your kid(s) school grade.
Albatross – Teacher Toolkit, Fun Facts
Kelp – Teacher Toolkit, Fun Facts
Sea Stars – Teacher Toolkit, Fun Facts
Dolphins & Porpoises – Teacher Toolkit
Sea Otters – Teacher Toolkit, Fun Facts
Native and Coastal Bees – Teacher Toolkit
See them all – Full Teacher Toolkit
Pick Up Trash at the Beach or From Your Neigborhood
Here is something that you can do outside with your family. Once a day or whenever you can, grab a bucket and gloves and go outside to pick up trash. At the end, tally everything that you found! What was in your bucket? Let us know by posting a picture of your table or of you picking up the litter, we would really love that!
How Big is Your Plastic Footprint
Inspired by the table made by Aquarium of Seward in Alaska, we created our version of the Plastic Tracking Table. This is something that you can print and do at home every time you place something in the trash can or recycling bin. Have your kid(s) run it and feel free to print a couple as this COVID-19 situation is very likely to last a few weeks!
Other Resourceful Websites
For a few years now, we have been collecting links for other trustworthy websites that have educational content:
- The Life Cycle of Trash
- Learn what is Marine Debris
- Thank You Ocean
- 50 Ways to Help Save the Ocean
- Surfrider’s Beachapedia – Useful tools and info to help communities make a positive impact on their local beaches
- NOAA’s Marine Debris Factoids – FAQs about marine debris
- Guide to Cigarette Litter Prevention
- Californians Against Waste
- Quick Tips for Greening Your July 4th
- Ways to reuse and reduce our plastic consumption
- Keep America Beautiful – What you can do to prevent litter.
- 5 Gyres – Plastic pollution reduction in the world’s oceans.
- Earth 911 – Practical solutions to environmental issues, including the “Find Recycling Centers” guide or how to recycle your no longer wanted clothing items
- It takes 2,700 liters of water to make a cotton shirt
- Learn about the apparel industry’s environmental impact
- Speak Dolphin’s Clean Ocean Dolphin Poster Poster designed to inspire the lives of marine animals by cleaning up litter in our water environments.
- Keep California Beautiful Beach Party – Keep California Beautiful
- Bag the Plastics – Sea Turtle Restoration Project
- Don’t Think of A Plastic Bag! by Green Sangha
- Plastic State of Mind (parody) by Ben Zolno
- The Majestic Plastic Bag – A Mockumentary – Heal The Bay
- The Bay vs. the Bag – Save the Bay
- Flows to the Bay – San Mateo County Pollution Prevention Program
- Earth Day Network